Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Where did my little boy go?

In just 6 weeks, Kevin will be starting his first day of high school. He will be going to Chaminade-Madonna College Prep. It's truly a bittersweet moment for me as I watch him grow into a man.

I remember every detail of the day he was born as if it was yesterday and yet it was almost 14 1/2 years ago. I remember my frantic voice calling my ob/gyn at 6 am to tell him my contractions were 5 minutes apart and REALLY painful. I remember speeding to the hospital because I was feeling the urge to push. I remember running through the emergency room door and the nurse examining me and saying "you are 8 cm dilated." I remember my breath being taken away at that second and realizing I am going to have a baby today. I remember pushing for only 10 minutes (thank goodness for miracles) and I remember the pain (don't let anyone tell you that we forget the pain because we don't). I also remember the elation, joy, happiness, anxiety, fear, and hope at that moment when he was born. I remember how my life changed forever when they swaddled him and placed him in my arms and the doctor said "great job, mom."

Mom was my new name. I have worn it proud all these years through the good times and bad. Through the smiles and the tears. Through the baptism, communion, and confirmation ceremonies. Through the preschool graduation, the elementary school graduation, and the induction ceremony into the National Junior Honor Society. Through his first little league home run and his many batting slumps where I would watch his shoulders hang as he would walk back to the dugout in total discouragement (on those days I would often feel worse than he did wanting to kiss his saddness away but knowing I could not). Through his many ear infections to his broken arm playing football. I have been there through it all.

And while my little boy is not perfect (what kid is?) he is still my little boy...the kid who still calls me "mommy"...the kid who waves to me when he comes up to bat and I am standing in the bleachers cheering him on...the kid who can take me from total frustration to total laughter in the blink of an eye. That's my boy.

August 20, 2007 will be another reminder that time flies and there is nothing I can do about it except to wear the mommy name with the same pride as I did on the day of his birth.











1 comment:

Cindy said...

So sweet. And by the way, I'm blown away that the little boy who took care of his cousin as they walked down the aisle at our wedding, is going to high school!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...