Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Top 5 Quick Organization Tips

Finding time to be organized can be a daunting task which can often become very discouraging. But it doesn't have to be that way if you just give it time and take baby steps. So here are my top 5 organization tips that have become my every day habit.

1. Take care of your mail immediately. If you don't do this it will definitely take over your life. When I go out to my mailbox I usually have sorted the mail in my hands by the time I have come back into the house. In my left hand is items that are going to be thrown away. In my right hand is the mail to keep. Once in the house I throw the junk in the garbage and then start opening the keeper mail. One pile is for bills and the other pile is for stuff that I am going to do something with later. (I will address that in another post).

2. Install a landing strip where you usually enter the house. For me that is in the laundry room from the garage. I bought a cheap 6-hook strip from Target and it works beautifully. Baby bag, backpacks, every day shoes, purse and car keys go on this rack. I never lose my keys and I always know where essentials are. I also don't waste time in the morning looking for this stuff on the way out to the car thus wasting critical time.

3. Lazy Susan. Good ole' lazy susan. What would I do without her? I love lazy susans. I have many of them in my kitchen cabinets. They are awesome for spice cabinets or medicine cabinets because stuff doesn't get pushed to the back of the cabinet never to be seen again. Instead I neatly place the items in the lazy susan pushed to the edge so everything is in full view. Some of my cabinets have more than one lazy susan.

4. Make your bed every day. Ok, this is not really an organization tip but I believe it does set the tone for neatness and organization throughout the rest of the day. I have never seen a neat house with messy beds.

5. Own a small portable notebook. I never am without my little notebook. Being a busy mom I have many ideas and to-dos floating around in my head. I would forget a lot if I didn't have a little book to write things down. If I think of something I need to do I write it down and when I get home or to a place where I can more organize my thoughts I do so on a more formal to-do list.

Do you have any ideas you would like to share with me? If so please feel free to comment.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...