Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I love exercise...I love exercise...I love exercise

I figure that if I keep saying it enough times it will become true. Actually I don't necessarily HATE to exercise but it's not exactly on my top 10 list. So why do I do it? Because the thing that I really do love about exercise is the way I feel after and the way I look after and that "good" feeling is a lot better than the "bad" feeling I get while doing it.

As I have previously posted, I am signed up for the Disney half marathon next January. I have my training schedule all printed out. The full out training does not really start for another month or so but I have to get back in the saddle again and start racking up miles. That is the term that marathoners use. For some odd reason our weekly miles is important to the overall training program.

This past weekend, after reviewing my training goals and mistakenly watching the making of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Calendar, I rededicated myself to my exercise program and mileage count.

My goal yesterday was 2 miles on the treadmill. The run started off good and I was flying to 1 mile until I hit the wall. Now, I won't go into too much detail on what the wall is but to quickly explain that this is the moment when all runners literally feel like they have hit a wall. Their bodies start talking to them and what they are saying is not pretty. The mind starts playing tricks. Your body starts to shut down. You feel like quitting. A good runner will have methods to get through the wall (ie, carb drink, self talk, inspiring note in pocket, friendly runner to help out). Marathoners hit the wall between mile 19 and 22. I hit the wall at mile 1.

I felt like crying. I did push through it and got to mile 2 but I realized that I have a long way to go in my training. I better start that program early if I want to make it by January. If you want to track my successes, I should have a link to my progress up shortly.

1 comment:

:) said...

test on comments widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...