Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Learning to Love Books

The other day on the long car ride home from our vacation I decided to read a 380 page book that I brought with me on the "off" chance that I might be so bored that reading would appeal to me.

Admittedly I have never been a reader. I am not sure why but it has been with me from childhood and it has always bothered me. It has always made me feel handicapped because I never did well on the reading portions of standardized tests that affected which college I went to. Not only that but I feel that I learned less about life by not exploring all the things that books have to offer. But this is all going to change and I am excited about the journey.

So on this car ride back from vacation, I read the book and found that once I started I could not put it down. It felt wierd. My kids looked at me wierd...mom was reading a book? What was the world coming to? My husband looked at me and wondered if he left his wife at the last rest stop and a new wife accidentally got into our car.

When I got home I was so excited to have finished this book and I immediately went through my drawers to dust off the other books that I had bought ages ago but never cracked open. I am now into my second book of the week! The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. It's a really fun book so far and it's another one that I am having a hard time putting down. Last night I started looking through my 14 year old's bookshelf...there is Summerland, Heat, To Kill a Mockingbird, Harry Potter

I started pulling the books from the bookshelf like a mad woman. The book covers are so pretty. I can't get started soon enough. This is so much fun. The best part is knowing that I might positively affect my kids and their outlook on reading. I might even start a book review section in my blog or join a book carnival. Why didn't I think of this sooner?

What book are you currently reading? If you have any books you have read and want me to share them on my blog, just shoot me an email or comment.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of reading for pleasure - glad you are finally here! I'm currently ready Christ the Lord - Out of Egypt: A Novel by Anne Rice. I've already read it once, and am on the second go-round. I find that if I have favorite books they are like good friends - I want to visit them again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...