Friday, June 29, 2007

Every new mother must have a.....

rocking chair. It's an item that is as necessary as diapers...in my very humble opinion. You might ask me why I make such an emphatic statement....because I know from experience. It took me 3 kids to realize that none of them particularly liked to snuggle. It was a realization that made me sad a lot of the time. I often wondered why they didn't like to plant their faces in my neck or bury their heads against my chest at night while I sang to them or read a book to them.

By chance I bought a rocking chair the day after Jack was born and it was there that I sang to him, rocked him to sleep, fed him at night, and read books to him. It wasn't until he was over a year old that we graduated from the rocking chair and gave it away. It wasn't until recently that I realized that this might be the reason why Jack snuggles with me all of the time and not for any particular reason. It's as if he wants to snuggle just to smell my neck or to hear the vibrations of my voice.

I can tell you that I really missed that feeling with my three other children. I wished I had been smarter back then to have bought a rocking chair. But now you know the reason why I believe every mom should have one of these in their homes.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I totally agree with you on this one - Sean still LOVES to snuggle in the rocking chair with me. Brian even asks to "nuggle" with me all the time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...