Thursday, June 21, 2007

anysoldier.com

Today I heard about this website called anysoldier.com. I heard that it was a website where you can get paired up with a soldier and donate goods to him or her. Thinking that was a really neat gesture, I went to the site and started lurking around. There are hundreds of soldiers names on this site and many of them have posted messages on their board asking for the things that their units need the most. I decided that it was too much work to go looking through all the soldiers so I found a button where a soldier gets randomly selected for you. So that was what I did.

We got paired with a Marine stationed in Iraq. He says that his unit has a microwave so they would really appreciate canned foods such as soups and ravioli. They also could use toothpaste, mouthwash, and baby wipes. It doesn't seem like much to ask for considering they are fighting for our freedom. So I registered and sent away for his address and it was emailed to me shortly thereafter. The post office even gives you a flat rate for this project. How cool is that?

So off I go to the drug store to buy some canned goods, toothpaste, mouthwash and wipes. I think I might even pack up some fun stuff like crossword puzzles and Famous Amos Cookies.

So here is to Major Tom Birney in the US Marines and his unit of 21 other soldiers. Your package is on its way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...