Thursday, January 3, 2008

Phone a Friend

Both of my teens got cell phones for Christmas. I purchased them because I thought they were old enough to have them and because there have been situations in the past where they needed them to call me and vice versa. I feel better knowing that they have them on hand.

Since the divorce they rarely call me on the phone from their dad's house. They have asked to and tried to but are often met with harsh discipline or are simply told that they are not allowed to call me. Now that they are getting older, bigger, and wiser they are starting to buck their dad's system.

Case in point.

This morning is one of their dad's visitation days. I am at work and suddenly my cell phone rings. I look at it and see that it is my 12 year old teen calling in on the cell phone I gave him. I get so excited because it is the first time that he is calling me that I can ever remember. I pick up the phone and he starts talking about an iguana that he just saw at his camp. He tells me this big long story about the iguana and how funny the story was and how much he laughed and how scared he was, etc etc. He ends by telling me that he just had to call me to tell me the story and that he loved me and will tell me more over the weekend.

To be honest with you I didn't really pay much attention to his story. I was too busy tearing up and thinking of how happy I was that he actually thought of me to call me. It really touched my heart and totally made my day.

A lot of people take these kinds of things for granted. To me it's like opening up the best gift in the world. Today is turning out to be a great day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...