Sunday, March 9, 2008

Moms Know Best

I am beginning to believe that when moms give birth that they are somehow also given the gift of intuition. I swear that I can read my kids' minds at any given time of the day. I can predict their movements and sense troubles brewing.

During these past wonderful 15 years of my life as a mom, the intuition has never faded. I feel so thankful that I have it. I can help my kids way before they ask me for it. I can soothe a sick child before they know they are sick. I can tell they are crying even before I see their face.

When I met my better half he didn't have kids and fairly quickly he witnessed this intuition of mine and marveled at it. He often asked me how it was that I knew how the child was feeling before anyone could see. I told him that it was God's gift to me.

It appeared last night when I was laying in bed. My littlest man had diarrhea all day long and I couldn't figure out why. I didn't think he ate anything differently than the rest of us but perhaps he had too much ice cream or something that was somewhat upsetting to his stomach. No biggie. He went to bed with a fresh diaper and while I laid in bed something told me to lay down with him in his room. I sensed that there was something "not right." I laid down next to him with my pillow and blanket and listened to him sleep so soundly. I brought a towel with me....not sure why....just in case because you never know when you will need it. A few hours later I was awakened to hear him coughing and then, sure enough, he started to vomit. I was right there to be with him and help him. He was not alone any minute of the episode. Thanks to my intuition. It rarely fails me.

This kind of thing has happened to me so many times that I no longer marvel at it. I just accept that it is a mom thing. I do, however, feel that this superpower is quite cool and comes in handy many times.

Have you ever had your intuition kick in when you least expected it?

P.S. My little guy vomited a few more times and is now much better. My intuition tells me it was a 24 hour bug.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...