Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Star-Struck

Last night, I accompanied by sister-in-law to a Make-A-Wish function that my brother had organized. It was a sports auction that included a silent auction beforehand and then moved onto a live auction in the main dining room. There were lots of munchies and free alcohol and plenty of stars.

As I moved around the room, I couldn't help but to be star-struck. There was Bob Costas, Jeff Conine and many other local sports players and celebrities. Katrina Campins (remember her from the first season of "The Apprentice") sat at our table. There were professional cheerleaders from all of the local sports teams. So many people with perfect, fat-free bodies who looked like they just walked out of the hair salon. Let's face it. They probably did.

And there I was eating egg rolls and sipping a diet coke and texting my better half to let him know that a double-D cup cheerleader just brushed up behind me. I looked at myself in the mirror and realized I still had cheerios in my hair that my two year old put there because it was funny. I look down at my slight belly roll and the little bit of cellulite and remind myself that I have four kids and no one is lining up to shake my hand.

The live auction starts and I am dumbfounded at how wealthy people just throw money around. Don't get me wrong. I was not complaining. Make-A-Wish is an outstanding cause and I am glad that the money pays for kids' wishes. The organization is truly a miracle. I was still amazed at how much these auctioned items are going for. $7,500 for a morning with Venus Williams and Roger -whats-his-name. Yikes. I grew instantly jealous that I could not buy the golf package (a round of golf inside the ropes at the Doral Open with the big stars like Tiger Woods) for my husband. I don't live in that kind of money world.

But as the night ended and I got home and walked through my door, I walked over to my 4 year old daughter's room. She was still awake and in bed. The greatest smile lit up her face when she saw me. She extended her hands out and gave me the biggest hug and kiss and told me she loved me. I tucked her into bed with a big smile on my face.

When it comes right down to it, the celebrities have their money and the cool status that goes with it but at my house, I have pure gold.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...