Thursday, June 19, 2008

This Past Week

It's been a sad week for me. At the risk of sounding like the rest of the country I am going to join in and say I was really sad to hear that Tim Russert had died unexpectedly. But since then I have really reflected on a few things in my own life that I feel could be fine tuned. I can always be a better this and a better that and so have thought a lot about how I want to make myself better and also about the legacy that I want to leave behind when I am called home just as Tim was last week.

At first I liked Tim Russert because I loved watching his show "Meet The Press." I was a faithful watcher each week and I always felt that I learned so much from his questions and answers. I really don't like those shows where the hosts scream or are condescending or create spin. I just want to hear the truth and I felt that Tim Russert worked the hardest at getting to the truth without injecting his own opinion. In addition, it was really because of his ability to simplify the issues and explain them in common every day language so that those of us who are not as politically savvy can understand and participate. So for that I thank you Tim Russert for helping me engage.

But even better than that I have been inspired this week by the personal side of Tim Russert. The devoted husband, father, and Irish Catholic that he was. I never realized he was raised by the nuns and the Jesuits and grew up as an Irish Catholic. He dedicated his life to his political and journalistic passions and lived every day to the fullest. He cared about people and lifted people up. Mario Cuomo said of him that "a day spent without real enthusiasm is a sadly lost opportunity." Such true words that I want to live by.

So as I woke up this morning, I quietly said a few prayers for those in need today. Some of them I know and some of them I don't. I dropped my kids off at preschool and sat with my princess while she drank her juice. I talked to her classmates who were all preparing for a bowling field trip today. I thanked her teacher for being so wonderful to her. I then dropped off my little man to his little class and sat with him. I offered to help his teacher pass out cereal cups for the little ones. I hugged one of the new kids in the class who was missing his dad. I stopped by the front desk and asked the ladies if they needed a Starbucks run. I feel enthusiastic and good today. It's going to be a day well spent.

Thank you Tim Russert.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...