Tuesday, September 9, 2008

An Interesting Dinner Conversation

An interesting discussion happened at the dinner table yesterday regarding politics and the presidential election. It actually started because my older kids were talking about how this subject has been coming up in their history classes. I then started feeling that I didn't do a good enough job in discussing this subject with them. So off the conversation went and it was a lot of fun.

I got them to start really thinking about issues and I really tried hard to explain candidates and what each of their policy plans are and how they affect America. I explained the process of elections from primaries to the general. I decided that my explanations would be based primarily on fact though it does get a bit hard at times to not inject one's personal opinion. I still try and then try to warn them when it is my personal opinion.

I never wanted my kids to grow up deciding a vote just because their parents vote for a certain party or candidate. I always want them to be able to decide for themselves and to mature enough about what is important to them.

I also teach to them that everyone is equally entitled to a vote and opinion and that above all else we should be respectful of that very idea.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...